Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Funny moments...

Teaching is NEVER dull. I've always wondered what to do with all the little amusing anecdotes I have (people have suggested writing a book but that's far too traumatic) so I though I'd post a few here.

I had one write about 'Shakespeare's well-known appearance in the Bible..." Further odd quotes from essays include:

"The Prostitutes and the Catholics often disagree"
"The two girls had formed a great frend chip"
"It goes to show we can all suckseed if we try"
"His feelings became mindsweating"
"Lady Macbeth sends all the ghosts home" (should be 'guests'...)
"We would have to get a couch to collect us from school"
"I suddenly became so nervous that my hands shook violently and I had to put them between my legs..."
"Terracotta is a fancy word for saying 'garden pot'"
"Romeo said "Furry-eyed fury be my conduct now!"

There was also the time I was playing Hangman with a group of 13 year olds (I am an English teacher after all so Hangman could be classed as a session of spelling...). The category was 'Food and Drink' and one girl had the following on the board... - - - - / - / - - - - -/ - - / - - - - - No-one could guess what it was so she gave us a clue that it was a dessert...

After much pondering she declared she had won and wrote up... NICK A BLOCK OF GLORY... apparently she had enjoyed this ice-cream dessert on a recent holiday!

Incorrect spellings are often a source of amusement. I have had 2 separate arguments with pupils about the Christmas decorations most of us know as 'baubles.' It would seem many children (or at least these 2) are convinced their parents are saying 'ball-balls.'

Ah the delights of trying to educate the nation in the art of English!

No comments: